Monday, December 20, 2010

Jackie

Jackie, a long term friend of Maryse contributed the following...

Dear anh Lân,

Maryse, as I've always called her since we were elementary school classmates, had always been devoted to her family and friends. I also happened to be her neighbor in Saigon in the Frères Louis area where she and I lived in the inside small streets called ruelles. She on the east side and me on the west side, but only ten minutes apart, walking distance.

The careful and thoughtful diet she cooked every day for Mặc-Long was indeed a labor of love. I remember her telling me (when I stayed many times for a couple of days over your house on my way to Trinidad where my husband was assigned at the U.S. Embassy, and vice versa back from Trinidad to the U.S. in the early 1990s) that Mặc-Long was a God-given child. "He brought prosperity and happiness to both of us. Lân has grown in his business since Mặc-Long was born, and I found good fortune and fulfillment," she told me Therefore, he was the joy of the family. Needless to say that she was very proud of VyVy's accomplishments as well.

I also recall that she had a full agenda and timetable for Mac Long and I followed along with her schedule. She prepared and did all the chores in the house for Mac Long, then I went with her to pick Mặc-Long up at his school, etc. When you came home from work, her attention was focused on both of you, and I could see the tight-knit relationship and the TLC (tender, love and care) you provided to Mặc-Long and to her. What a lovely family indeed.

I don't forget that every morning and evening, she lit incense sticks and prayed religiously to Buddha. She gave me a good example and until today, both my husband (an American) and I have been praying to Buddha every evening before going to bed. I still see images of both Maryse and myself visiting her mother (when she was still alive) and her brother and sister' families. I still miss eating the best longanes (trái nhãn) from your garden. I'm also grateful that you, Maryse, and Mặc-Long had spent a whole day going around to find a BMW for us to buy. That car (over 120,000 miles now) was given to our eldest son who drove us this year at Thanskgiving in New York. Every time I sit in the car, which is running very well, I remember the best times I'd spent with my kind and generous friend from my childhood. What a precious time we've had together.

My only regret was when I wanted to come and visit her and take care of her, cooking for her as she had done for me (as I told her), during her time of sickness, she categorically refused to let me do it. But fortunately, I was able to call her and talk with her for hours to comfort her, even a couple of months ago.

I don't know what else to say to express my deep love to Maryse but to pray that she rest in peace and look after her micro family, especially you, VyVy and Mặc-Long, and her macro family for a long time to come.

Affectionately,

Jacqueline Thu Vân / Jackie Bông

No comments:

Post a Comment